Thursday, May 22, 2008

My Daughter the Graduate

Yesterday my 24-year-old daughter called me to tell me she had completed her last final exam in college. This evening Ron and I will attend her graduation ceremony. Not the huge stadium circus event, but the small department convocation. When Yael called to announce that she had finished, she said "Mom, now all I need is a new car and a boob job and my life will be complete." Ron thinks the boob job was thrown in there because she figured we'd go for helping with the car instead. I remember when she was quite happy with vanilla ice cream and a Winnie-the-Pooh video. When did it start costing thousands of dollars to make our princess's dreams come true? Actually, this girl has worked hard, really hard, to get where she is today. She has always had a job to help with the money. She has struggled with choosing a major, so she has been in school longer than many of her friends, which was frustrating. But now she is the proud owner of a Bachelor's in Journalism, with a minor in Women's Studies. I'm so proud. And I bet she publishes a book before she starts a family, which is probably what I should have done. But I wouldn't trade this magnificent young woman I have raised for all the pages in print in the world. Today I celebrate the achievement of my lovely, brilliant, talented daughter!

2 comments:

MsPuddin said...

Best post yet! I couldnt have done it w out you!

love,
me.

Liz Logan said...

Congratulations, Yael!!!!

Heck, you beat me by 12 years. Go get 'em!

Love,
Auntie Liz