Sunday, March 7, 2010

Palin Loses Debate to Woman with Down Syndrome

That’s not exactly what happened, but it’s close and it makes for a great headline. If you caught James Poniewozik’s column in last week’s Time magazine then you know what happened and in case you missed this choice story, here it is, verbatim, from Poniewozik: In the Feb. 14 episode [of The Family Guy], the character Chris goes on a date with a young woman who has Down syndrome. When he asks her about her parents, she tells him “My dad’s an accountant, and my mom’s the former governor of Alaska.” Palin’s 1-year-old son Trig has Down. Palin posted on Facebook that the scene was “another punch in the gut.” This time, however, Palin’s outrage prompted not an apology but a smackdown, from Andrea Fay Friedman, a Family Guy voice actress—who actually has Down. “My parents raised me to have a sense of humor,” she said. “My mother did not carry me around under her arm like a loaf of French bread the way former governor Palin carries her son Trig around looking for sympathy and votes.”

You go, Andrea!


No comments: