Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Anniversary of Harry

Do you know what today is? It’s the tenth anniversary of the U.S. release of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, the very first Harry Potter book. I know that many of you out there in blog-land have no interest in Harry, but for a children’s fantasy adventure junkie like myself, Harry is the top of the line. J.K. is the master-ess. I can hardly believe that the Potter phenomenon started only ten years ago. My boys and I have read them all. Some more than once. All out loud to Sudi except the final book, which he read to himself. I remember one Labor Day Weekend party when friends Janice and Mark and their girls camped out at the Ranch and they were at the very end of The Goblet of Fire. On Sunday afternoon, Janice sat in our living room and read the last chapter aloud to her girls. I had already read the book, so didn’t mind hearing the ending. Same for many other guests. We gathered around Janice and listened. Magic moments. I can still hear her voice in my head, reading Harry’s words to the twins when he gives them his tournament winnings to start the joke shop. With Voldemort on the loose, he tells them, “I could do with a few laughs. We could all do with a few laughs. I’ve got a feeling we’re going to need them more than usual before long.” You said it, Harry.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Amy. I remember that day too, in much the same way. The Harry Potter books remain one of my favorite series and an important shared experience with my daughters.

When I started a library for our After School Program, A complete set of the Harry Potter books was my first purchase. (A Call to Shakabaz is also a part of our collection as well).

I am especially struck by the quote that came to your mind. Indeed, we all are going to need a few laughs before long. - Janice