Monday, January 14, 2008

Football Notes

I love the Raiders, and I will say it loud, but I think we need to start seeing other people. The Raiders are my home team, my number one. But we have been co-dependent these past few years. I am burning out on enabling them. I can’t help them until they decide to help themselves. Maybe Lane and JaMarcus will pull them out of this depression. Who knows?

I love the NFL. But it’s breaking my heart. Apart from the fact that the season is almost over, which means that I’m about to be a football widow, the Patriots have taken all the fun out of the game. Alright, alright, not ALL the fun. And OK, I’ll admit that I’m pleased to see Randy Moss, our former Raider, have a chance to finally shine on a team that can throw a football. Did I say that out loud? My bad. I meant to keep that thought a secret. Belichek needs to launder that sweatshirt with the frayed out sleeves and Brady could use a few other facial expressions in his repertoire. I’m sick of the commentators gushing and talking out their boy-crushes on Brady on national T.V. There are a few other players in the NFL. I wonder if those commentators could go through an entire game by any two teams without once mentioning the name Brady (or how many push-ups he did every day in the sixth grade—because I don’t care).

While the Raiders are figuring out how to catch a football, I’ve been cheering for other teams. Yesterday was a difficult day for me. I’m a big fan of both the Colts and the Chargers. I guess I should have taken a tranquilizer or perhaps anti-psychotic medication before sitting down to the T.V. I spent several hours arguing with myself: go Manning, no go Rivers, no go Reggie Wayne, no go L.T., no, yes, no, yippee, eek! I almost socked myself in the eye over it. But at the beginning of the season, I said that I would like to see the Chargers win the Super Bowl this year. It’s OK for me to say that since the Colts were my pick last year and they won. Now the Chargers have a shot at it. It would be sweet to see those Patriots knocked down in the Championships. Charge on Chargers! If you win, you’re my Valentine.

No comments: